[Marxism] don't forget those BRICS Re: How Obama’s Normalization of the Brazil Coup Prefigured Trumpism

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Mon Oct 29 09:44:40 MDT 2018

On 2018/10/29 17:06, Louis Proyect via Marxism wrote:

> https://www.thenation.com/article/how-obamas-normalization-of-the-brazil-coup-prefigured-trumpism/

He was joined in that normalisation process by Xi, Putin, Modi and even
Zuma:
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/05/brazil-south-africa-rousseff-zuma-imperialism-cia-coup/

There were various strange theories floated on the left - even at the
top of the Brazilian Landless Workers Movement - about why these coup
processes in Brazil and also South Africa emanated primarily from
Washington... some we included in a (quite balanced) educational booklet
downloadable here: https://www.bricsfrombelow.org/ - specifically, by
Gayton Mckenzie and Andile Mngxitama here:
https://peoplesbrics.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/brics-politricks-for-july-2018-johannesburg-teach-in.pdf

Now with this tragic turn, for many of us interested in geopolitics, we
might return to the kind of analysis of Brazilian sub-imperialism made
famous by Ruy Mauro Marini:
https://archive.monthlyreview.org/index.php/mr/article/view/MR-023-09-1972-02_2

To be sure, until Bolsonaro there was reason for the highly-regarded
Argentine Marxist Claudio Katz to dispute a contemporary application of
Marini's sub-imperialism label:
http://links.org.au/imperialism-today-critical-assessment-latin-american-dependency-theory

But there's also room to disagree with him:
http://roape.net/2018/04/18/towards-a-broader-theory-of-imperialism/

Most important is solidarity, and today's best Joburg newspaper
suggested we prepare for activism in alliance with the Brazilians about
to suffer repression, and provide exile:
https://mg.co.za/article/2018-10-28-what-bolsonaros-election-victory-could-mean

While the Pretoria regime will have no qualms about attending the next
BRICS summit in Brazil (assuming Bolsonaro doesn't just quit as part of
his Sinophobic populism), there are indeed concerns at the base,
especially in organised labour. About ten weeks ago, our largest union -
the metalworkers - ran a picket at the Brazilian embassy in Pretoria:
https://www.numsa.org.za/article/reminder-numsa-to-picket-at-the-brazilian-embassy-on-monday/

We'll need to be doing much more of that, when the MST and other
progressives call for solidarity in the form of protests, sanctions or
other pressure points. I saw reports of this sort of solidarity in
protests yesterday in Warsaw and Mexico City. Elsewhere too?