[Marxism] Syria: Reply on Idlib, SDF, Radio Fresh etc

mkaradjis mkaradjis at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 07:09:23 MDT 2018

Chris and I can keep going back and forth regarding details about what
happened several years ago, but none of these details change the fact that
the propaganda line presented by the YPG/SDF – basically that Syrian
politics is centred on anti-“terrorism” and anti-“jihadism,” and the idea
that these evil “terrorists” and “jihadists” are associated both with
Turkey and the vast majority of Syrian rebels (“Sunni-sectarian rebels”
according to Chris) – is a fantasy, built on selective use of half-truths.

That’s what matters to me here. And the point of this Apoist propaganda is
to justify their abstention from the anti-Assad uprising from Day 1.

Let’s remember the line being presented about the events in question: the
commander of the small micro-sect ex-rebel group (the ‘Northern Democratic
Brigade’), now in the SDF, claimed that Turkey brought “terrorists” into
Idlib, that his little group “and some like them” insisted on continuing to
“fight ISIS” throughout 2014 – despite ISIS having been expelled from Idlib
entirely in January 2014 by the combined rebel forces – and due to this
stubborn persistence in fighting the ghost of ISIS, all the other
“terrorists” in Idlib, backed (if not owned) by Turkey pushed this little
group out of Idlib. This fits with the SDF sectarian position that the only
existing “democratic-secular” elements of what was the FSA are those few
non-Kurdish micro-components of the SDF; all other FSA are essentially part
of the great Turkish-jihadist-terrorist swamp.

Let’s review Chris’ new evidence, and see if it helps this discourse.

1.

First, Chris notes that Arun Lund not only spoke of the Dawud Brigade in
Idlib defecting to ISIS (and thus leaving for Raqqa), but also that “ISIS
supporters continued arriving in Raqqa from Idlib up to the time of writing
his article (December 2014). Thus there were still some ISIS supporters in
Idlib at least until that time.”

Chris’ point is unclear. Yes, others defected to ISIS and therefore, like
Dawud, fled from Idlib to Raqqa. As soon as there were any ISIS supporters
in Idlib, they got out. This does not leave much scope for the brave heroes
of the Northern Democratic Brigade (NDB) to engage in “continuing to fight
ISIS”, since ISIS was not there.

Perhaps Chris likes to imagine that the minute these defectors appeared,
the NDB and some “like them” immediately pounced on them, forcing them to
leave, and for this crime, all the Turkish-backed terrorist-jihadist swamp
pounced on the NDB, since they were all opposed to “continuing to fight
ISIS” (ie, the bulk of the FSA and Islamist forces who drove ISIS from
Idlib and all of western Syria, root and branch, at the cost of 7000
fighters, now decided that they liked ISIS after all).

But as I already showed in my last message, if anyone acted to help Dawud
make the decision to flee to Raqqa, it was the Islamic Front (a then
existing, long-defunct, coalition that included Ahrar al-Sham – the most
solidly Turkish-backed group in Idlib). As I quoted, they “arrested and
executed eight Islamic State agents” and this forced Dawud to flee.

But according to SDF discourse, ISIS, Nusra, Ahrar al-Sham and the rest of
then Islamic Front, and most of the FSA who did not join the SDF, are all
part of the Turkish-backed terrorist swamp. How strange that it was the
*most unequivocally Turkish-backed group* - not groups like the NDB – that
played the main role in expelling what the SDF imagines to be
“Turkish-backed” ISIS, if Ahrar are allegedly part of a Turkish terrorist
plot to stop fighting ISIS.

2.

Second, Chris says that while all rebel groups in Idlib, including Nusra,
may have earlier fought ISIS, “there was a change of policy by
Turkish-backed groups at some time during 2014 … Some groups which had
previously fought ISIS ceased to do so, due to Turkish pressure. Instead
they attacked Abu Omar al-Idlbi's group and other groups that continued to
oppose ISIS.”

To justify this wild statement, Chris quotes an article about a alleged
November 2014 meeting between ISIS and Nusra aimed at ending their feud and
even “team(ing) up in attacks in some areas of northern Syria”, and in
particular “together to open up fronts against Kurdish fighters in a couple
of new areas of northern Syria.”

One particular decision was to jointly destroy the Syrian Revolutionaries
Front (SRF), the largest FSA coalition in Idlib.

According to the report, even Ahrar al-Sham attended this meeting.

There was also a report from the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR)
that “some IS fighters reached individually to the village of al- Barah,
town of Kensafrah and the eastern countryside of Ma’arret al- Nu’man to
support al- Nusra Front and Jund al- Aqsa Organization in their clashes
against the Syria Revolutionaries Front."

On the possibility of the meeting itself – this does not surprise me. Nusra
cares about Nusra. As I wrote at the time of Nusra’s crushing of the SRF, Nusra
was only ever a “fair-weather friend” of the rebels
<https://mkaradjis.wordpress.com/2014/11/08/as-nusra-plays-at-isis-lite-the-us-excels-as-assads-airforce/>;
sometimes it fought ISIS, other times it called for peace. Around the
country, Nusra mostly fought ISIS, but here and there they collaborated
(eg, when Nusra let ISIS into the Yarmouk camp in 2015). But that is
because Nusra cares about itself, not because it wants to defend ISIS; and
Nusra – the only rebel group to immediately reject Turkey’s suggestion for
a safe zone in northern Syria, and which rejected Euphrates Shield from the
outset – is certainly not controlled by Turkey!

Oddly, Chris concludes from this:

“This is not surprising.  Turkey's priority was to crush the Rojava
revolution.  To achieve this goal Turkey collaborated with ISIS.  It also
pressured the other groups it supported to fall into line.”

I’m baffled how this conclusion relates to the report.

Yes, the report says that one aim of the alleged Nusra-ISIS rapprochement
was to jointly attack Rojava. But statements are well and good. I am not
aware of any joint ISIS-Nusra attack against Rojava or the YPG around or
after that time. One simple problem was geography – ISIS, Nusra and the YPG
were nowhere all three in the same region. ISIS then in the northeast was
advancing against Kobani. While Turkey may have manoeuvred with ISIS at
that point due to common interest, there is no-one who seriously thinks
that a maniacal group like ISIS was acting on Turkey’s orders! Furthermore,
there was zero Nusra presence there, because the last rebels/Nusra joint
position in the east – in Deir Ezzor – had been conquered by ISIS in July,
and the fighters had fled to Idlib (thus the main reason Nusra had suddenly
become strong enough in Idlib to challenge the SRF was because they had
been expelled by a brutal ISIS siege, and fled to Idlib).

At that time, Nusra in Idlib and Aleppo was *not engaged in any hostilities
with the YPG in Afrin whatsoever*. Such clashes did begin by about the
middle of 2015 however, for some time sparingly. But there was zero ISIS
presence there. The rebels in northern Aleppo (Azaz-Mare-Tal Rifaat region)
were then on good terms with the YPG in Afrin (clashes did not begin until
late 2015), but stood in confrontation with ISIS further east in Aleppo
province (al-Bab region). In this confrontation with ISIS on that key
frontline, Nusra took part on the side of the rebels.

Thus the ‘fight Rojava’ part of the alleged ISIS-Nusra agreement was just
bluster, and does not justify Chris’ implication that the Nusra-ISIS
agreement was driven by Turkey (Chris implies that both Nusra and ISIS were
tools of Turkey, which in fact is a total fantasy in both cases), aimed
against Rojava.

Rather, where the alleged agreement rings true is in their joint hostility
to the FSA, ie, the call to crush the SRF. As is well-known, Nusra crushed
the SRF in November. However, it is difficult to fit that event into the
SDF propaganda line:

1.      Nusra carried out this attack; ISIS was not present to take part.
The SOHR’s note that “some” ISIS fighters “individually” found their way
into Idlib (from where??) to aid Nusra is neither very interesting nor
important. Of course if there were any stray ISIS elements they would have
supported Nusra against the FSA (and probably tried to shoot Nusra later),
but they were wholly irrelevant to the entire operation.

2.      Nusra did not attack the SRF because the SRF “continued to fight
ISIS” while all the “Turkish-backed terrorists” were opposed to doing so.
The SRF, in alliance with the “Turkish-backed” Islamist groups, had driven
ISIS completely from Idlib in January and of course would fight any
hypothetical attempt to return, but as seen this simply was not an issue.
Rather, the SRF was busy full-time fighting Assad. But Nusra aimed to
dominate Idlib and does not like competition; Nusra crushed the SRF not
because it wanted to end a non-existent fight against a non-existent ISIS
and was resisted by the SRF; rather, Nusra crushed the SRF for the sake of
Nusra itself, not ISIS!

3.      Nusra did not attack the SRF because the SRF was a supporter of the
Rojava revolution. If Turkey’s main aim was against Rojava, and if Turkey
had the amount of control this discourse alleges it has over various
disparate rebel and “terrorist” groups, then it is curious that it would
encourage them to attack the largest FSA coalition, with which Turkey was
on relatively good terms. The SRF was not actively hostile to the YPG in
Afrin, but neither was it especially warm – it had the same relationship as
the rest of the northern FSA and mainstream Islamists, live and let live
combined with active suspicion.

4.      Possibly the Northern Democratic Brigade was then part of the SRF;
if so, it was part of a small minority of SRF components which then joined
the SDF – the vast majority joined other FSA groups which remained in Idlib
and continued to direct all their fight against Assad (even alongside Nusra
which had just disbanded the SRF!), and some took exile in Turkey and later
joined Euphrates Shield!

5.      When the SRF was crushed, Maarouf – the SRF leader – went into
exile in … Turkey! Later, when some accused him of backing the ex-FSA
forces who had joined the SDF, he strongly rejected the claim, accusing
some “vengeful” ex-members of doing so, and advising the Idlib rebels to
keep attacking Assad’s forces to the south.

6.      Ahrar al-Sham, the most clearly Turkish-backed group, was alleged
to have been at that infamous ISIS-Nusra meeting. But when some rank and
file Ahrar troops took part in Nusra’s attack on the SRF, this was
condemned by the Ahrar al-Sham leadership!
<http://carnegieendowment.org/syriaincrisis/?fa=57201> In fact, right
throughout the conflict, Ahrar tried to end the fighting
<https://twitter.com/charliewinter/status/527866467552071680>. Even a
section of Nusra, led by the leader of the former Deir Ezzor branch,
condemned Nusra’s attack.
I think we often like to imagine everyone we don’t like – ISIS, Nusra,
Turkey, terrorists, jihadists, Saudi regime, rebels who commit crimes, not
being secular etc – being all on one side. It would make life easy, it
feels comfortable. It very rarely has much connection to reality. See the
current alliance between the radical democratic/feminist SDF and the
theocratic tyranny in Saudi Arabia; I notice that Rojavists aren’t any more
busy accusing the FSA and rebels of being tools of the Saudi “wahabbism.”