[Marxism] Nicaraguan Contradictions

Richard Fidler rfidler at ncf.ca
Tue Sep 4 09:59:56 MDT 2018

The key word of course is "maintains." That is, no major difference from the record under previous governments.

As to upholding a government because you can see no progressive alternative, isn't that the same argument used by "anti-imperialists" in Syria: that if Assad is overthrown, it will just mean placing ISIS, or Russia, or USA, or Turkey -- who else?  -- in charge. Better to support the monkey than the organ-grinder. In Nicaragua, the reality is that Ortega has removed from contention one opposition group after another, and barred the road to the emergence of a progressive alternative. Such an alternative is more likely to emerge from a powerful grassroots opposition movement that has managed through its own efforts to overthrow an autocratic regime.

Richard