[Marxism] Flying Goats and Black Squares, Charging Into the Future - The New York Times

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Sep 14 08:57:20 MDT 2018

Marc Chagall was born in 1887 outside Vitebsk, moved to Paris in the
years before World War I, and returned to Russia as revolution took
hold. We don’t think of him as a politically engaged artist, and this
show includes familiar, color-saturated compositions of lovers by the
waterside, revelers celebrating Purim, and goats and cows flying through
the air. But Chagall was enraptured by the promise of Communism — as you
can see in “Onward, Onward” (1918), a rhapsodic painting on paper in
which a jumping man in plaid trousers, his legs spanning the whole
composition, bounds through a sky of brilliant blue into a glorious
popular future. Look closely and you’ll see gridlines beneath the
gouache; this work was enlarged to mural scale for Vitebsk’s celebration
of the first anniversary of the revolution, captured in a filmstrip
projected here. Chagall, the city’s art commissar, was in charge of the
decorations.

full:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/13/arts/design/chagall-lissitzky-malevich-russian-avant-garde-jewish-museum.html