[Marxism] Tom Waits releases anti-fascist folk ballad, his first new song in 2 years

Ken Hiebert knhiebert at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 16 18:19:09 MDT 2018

https://news.avclub.com/tom-waits-releases-anti-fascist-folk-ballad-his-first-1829013036 <https://news.avclub.com/tom-waits-releases-anti-fascist-folk-ballad-his-first-1829013036>

AVNEWS

Tom Waits releases anti-fascist folk ballad, his first new song in 2 years

Sam Barsanti

It's been a while since we had any new Tom Waits music, but he's back with a new version of a very old song that is depressingly relevant for the world we're in today. As reported by Pitchfork, the track is 'Bella Ciao',a collaboration with guitarist Marc Ribot for his upcoming album Songs Of Resistance 1948-2018. If you don't recognize the name, 'Bella Ciao' was an Italian folk ballad that was revised and re-written during World War II for the Italian anti-fascist resistance fighters, and it has since become an anthem of sorts for anyone looking to stick it to fascists.

The song also comes with a video (directed by Jem Cohen) that makes its parallels with modern life very explicit, pairing Waits' vocals with footage of police and soldiers guarding barricades at anti-Trump protests. It may sound heavy-handed, but fuck it, nobody said fighting fascists had to be subtle.

Video: Marc Ribot - "Bella Ciao (Goodbye Beautiful)" (feat. Tom Waits) <https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=50GvkAO0OIg>