[Marxism] [SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE] Question: Are Catholics persecuted in Vietnam?

Chris Slee chris_w_slee at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 23 20:36:42 MDT 2018

The Refugee Action Collective in Melbourne has been campaigning against the planned deportation of a Vietnamese woman called Huyen:

http://secure-web.cisco.com/1zCy05uvCAyfhXd9qQffk5xdrcKn0nY9TF9q_WgJy8HuzqbsqaSomcZZ7RiezVDHAbGudNoz1S60ScvVBwBNaaTy3GYHy-eRLcTuyyTvl118GO56PvoeXhyb6woxwUF4aTPRZx0RmUqLQ48Jhg4m__hd-4yM_9XMtxgQhWY5wDYL1TvO-EXQPko0kF5pWbpBa1kP6zMJnaFZO8jUlDCASISDLxaTK66iVHH8QlNM3g_Bd_DfQntcsoZdQvlAwrR7xjbPPRLYDyxP5pSu6NE2OUHT5CIcbglHwfgnGzjZhf26cka2DQrs4SqarQrGPD38u-Iv6aA-eE-7yay1-9Y6RGsjqSJY43tiiEPLUSPzzz7GUVLpJi09IX05uYU777urZ/http%3A%2F%2Frac-vic.org%2F2018%2F09%2F07%2F2pm-sat-22-sept-public-meeting-dont-deport-huyen%2F

The advertisement includes the following statement:

"Catholic asylum seekers who were returned to Vietnam from Indonesia last year were harassed, arrested, and threatened with imprisonment. Government led and government sanctioned land confiscations, church burnings, violence and threats of torture continue against Catholics and other religious minorities in Vietnam."

I was a bit surprised by this.  I don't doubt that there is political repression in Vietnam, but I am surprised to hear of a campaign against "religious minorities".

I would be interested to hear comments from Michael Karadjis or anyone else who is well informed about Vietnam.

Chris Slee