[Marxism] Libya: Defend Tripoli! Defeat Haftar!

Chris Slee chris_w_slee at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 12 17:54:14 MDT 2019

RKOB asks:

"Well, if NATO's role was so decisive for the overthrow of Gaddafi (which
is the usual claim of Stalinists and friends of Assad and Putin), why
did it not imposs its control of the country after 2011?!"

The US and its allies have had great difficulty in controlling Afghanistan and Iraq too.  Libya is not qualitatively different.

A large part of Afghanistan is under Taliban control.

In Iraq it proved very difficult to establish a stable pro-US regime, due in part to popular hostility to the occupation, but also due to conflicts within the Iraqi political elite, and the influence of Iran amongst Iraqi Shia politicians and militia leaders.  The Iraqi state was so so weak that in 2014 ISIS was able to capture a large part of the country, including Mosul.

Overthrowing the former governments (Taliban, Saddam Hussein, Gaddafi) was the easy part.  Building a stable new government was much harder.  This applies to Libya as well as Afghanistan and Iraq.

Chris Slee