[Marxism] What The Left Must Fight Against | Current Affairs

Michael Meeropol mameerop at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 07:37:14 MDT 2019

Thank you Louis -- I was totally convinced by the article -- I had no idea
Carlson was such a DANGEROUS mix of accurate economic analysis and
dangerous racism .....

In the 1890s, the Populist Party for a brief moment made an effort to
create a black and white alliance -- but after the 1896 elections, decided
that the top dogs in the South had been able to "corral" the black vote ---
so the Populists opted for disenfranchisement in the hope that they (the
Populists) would command the white majority based on self-interest --

But in fact from that point on, the only way to get elected in the South
was to sound the alarm about black folks (using different language of
course).

The last gasp of the black-white alliance (which  included Populists) was
the terorist insurrection that drove out the elected government of
Wilminston, North Carolina in 1899 --- The novel THE MARROW OF TRADITION by
Chesnut (sp?) is a pretty good fictionalization of some of what was going
on there ... but I bet there are some good historical treatments as well.

<https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/11/what-the-left-must-fight-against>