[Marxism] A Gathering of Comrades | Current Affairs

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Aug 7 12:11:10 MDT 2019

(I'd say it is more like Willy Wonka and Chef Boyardee.)

"On the train to the convention, I run into Bhaskar Sunkara, editor of
Jacobin. He does not look nearly as pleased to see me as I am to see
him. Bhaskar and I maintain comradely relations, and he has been
tremendously helpful to Current Affairs, but there is no denying that we
have very different dispositions. He is serious, professional, even
somewhat quiet. I am frivolous, have trouble controlling my volume, and
tend to bump into things. It is clear he means Business, while I barely
know the meaning of Business. Throughout the weekend, Bhaskar will find
himself inadvertently plunged into situations in which he has to make
conversation with me against his will. Imagine Karl Marx and Willy Wonka
trapped on a riverboat together trying to find topics of common
interest, and you will get a rough sense of our strained chat."

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2019/08/a-gathering-of-comrades