[Marxism] Fwd: Re: Found your article on one-child policy very useful in a film review

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Aug 8 07:07:25 MDT 2019

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Found your article on one-child policy very useful in a
film review
Date: 	Thu, 8 Aug 2019 12:53:13 +0000
From: 	Greenhalgh, Susan <greenhalgh at fas.harvard.edu>
To: 	Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com>

Dear Louis,

Thank you for sharing and for finding and publicizing that article.  The
larger story told in the book is just mind boggling.  The article can be
downloaded from here, page titled "Just One Child"

https://susan-greenhalgh.com

The Boston Globe showed the film in Cambridge MA last week, and I was
asked to discuss it along with the co-producer, Jialing Zhang.  I found
the film deeply problematic.  The horror story it tells was widely
publicized in the US and other Euro-American nations throughout the
1980s and 1990s (though people in China had no access to that media
coverage).  One concern is that the film purports to present the
situation in China at large, whereas the footage and interviews were
from one province with particularly abusive practices.  And the film
does not sufficiently stress that the horrors were concentrated in the
1979-93 years; since then enforcement techniques have changed
dramatically, as the government became critical of the abuses.

I could go on and on. Thanks very much for this and good luck with your
fascinating work (I read your profile and browsed your site).

warmly,
Susan

Susan Greenhalgh
John King & Wilma Cannon Fairbank