[Marxism] In Praise of Samuel R. Delany

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Aug 10 06:48:13 MDT 2019

NY Times, Aug. 8, 2019
In Praise of Samuel R. Delany
By Jordy Rosenberg

“In the long country cut with rain, somehow there was nowhere to begin.”

So reflects the nameless character, known only as “the Kid,” as he
wanders an apocalyptic America in Samuel R. Delany’s science-fiction
novel “Dhalgren.” A description of the book’s physical setting as well
as the Kid’s fugue state, this sentence exemplifies what Delany has
described as the task of fiction: achieving “resonance between an idea
and a landscape.” It also happens to describe the vertiginous task of
writing about Delany.

For there is, indeed, nowhere to begin with Delany. Born in Harlem in
1942, Delany published his first novel at the age of 19, inaugurating a
broad, genre-spanning career that now includes over 40 published works
and several major literary awards. His writing combines space opera with
neo-slave narrative, memoir, sword-and-sorcery fantasy and an elegy for
the sexual freedoms of pre-Giuliani Times Square. Delany’s prismatic
output is among the most significant, immense and innovative in American
letters. And because there is no way to summarize his work, about Delany
we can never be experts. We can only be enthusiasts. We cannot hope to
describe his oeuvre, only our encounter with his oeuvre, and how this
encounter has transformed us.

“It is not that I have no past. Rather, it fragments on the terrible and
vivid ephemera of now.”

Maybe it was that the Kid’s experience of loss resonated with my own. In
1992, when I was 21, my relationship with my family had been shattered
by my queerness, and I had absconded to San Francisco for a girlfriend
who dumped me upon arrival. In the aftermath, I found a job waiting
tables on the overnight shift at Sparky’s Diner on Church Street in the
Castro, and I found Delany.

Around 4:30 a.m., with the neon SPARKYS sign casting a pool of foggy
pink onto the sidewalk — when the ravers had finished their French fries
and tumbled off into the wet blue pre-dawn — I would crouch in the
kitchen, reading “Dhalgren,” and later, the book that made me a Delany
enthusiast for life, “Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand.”

“Have you ever arrived on a world at dawn?” asks that novel’s
“industrial diplomat” and technology ambassador, Marq Dyeth. “You can
see the world, this one orange and green with hydrocarbon soups, that
one blue and white with oxidized hydrogen broths, another grit gray,
still another dust brown, but all, whatever their dominant color,
scythed away, as one circles, with night.”

This rhapsody on dawn as seen from space is delivered by Marq shortly
after he is forcibly separated from his lover Rat Korga, a former slave
and the sole survivor of a war-torn planet. At the hands of the General
Intelligence — an agency that functions like a combination of OKCupid
and the C.I.A., with even more invasive reams of personal information on
the universe’s inhabitants — Korga is calculated to be Marq’s perfect
erotic match and sent to him. They spend several glorious days together,
but the G.I. deems their connection too dangerous, and Korga is deported.

“Stars” manages to connect the ethereal appeal of orbit with Marq’s
yearning for Korga. “Desire isn’t appeased by its object, only irritated
into something more than desire that can join with the stars to inform
the chaotic heavens with sense,” he opines. “Fingers can’t point to
anything anymore. And without such indications — oh, I still walk where
I walked, look where I looked, but where I saw what once seemed
wonderful, I see so little now — I feel so little.”

Delany’s books interweave science fiction with histories of race,
sexuality and control. In so doing, he gives readers fiction that
reflects and explores the social truths of our world. In fact, he traces
the lineage of contemporary speculative fiction to Martin Delany’s
“Blake; or the Huts of America,” a 19th-century novel about the escape
from slavery and insurrectionary desires in Cuba and the Southern United
States that is, as Samuel Delany argues in his seminal 1998 essay
“Racism and Science Fiction,” “about as close to an sf-style alternate
history novel as you can get.”

The lesson of “Stars” — one as intimidating and exciting to me now as
when I first read it — is that desire, language and history are bound
together, and that literature has the capacity to realize these
connections, and, from them, to spin singular webs.

In Delany’s novels, desire and language are luminous silks, intensifying
and refracting reality. His work thus becomes a paean to the experience
of reading itself, which “Stars” makes palpable through ecstasies
specific to sci-fi.

Before they are separated, Korga and Marq participate in a dragon hunt
on the planet Vyalou. As they soar over a landscape “more mica than
sand,” they learn that when dragon-hunting on Vyalou, one momentarily
fuses consciousness with the creature in flight. “Fly! I flew,” Marq
thinks. “Chills detonated my spine, my gills erupted rings of
excitation, and I arched away, borne through the beat of other urges, to
drop through the world built in my mouth, while Rat, at my shoulder, rose.”

The emotional dynamism of Delany’s sentences has been perhaps less
acknowledged than his world-building, or the sweep of his vision. But
when asked to speak about writing as a practice, Delany himself often
turns to the art of sentences, and of how to imbue words with such
“ekphrastic force” that they summon the material presence of an imagined
world. When Korga and Marq return to themselves they are awe-struck,
struggling to narrate the intensity of their own transformative
experience. It is impossible not to hear in that a metatextual echo of
the obsession of Delany’s practice: that of creating the most immersive
possible aesthetic experience for us, his readers and devoted enthusiasts.

“I was a dragon,” Korga wonders aloud. And then, struck with the
impossibility of communicating the exquisiteness of having been a dragon
in flight, Korga reaches for the most apt simile he can imagine. “I was
a dragon? I was a dragon!” he cries. “It’s like reading.”

Samuel Delany: A Starter Kit
The Motion of Light in Water

Although one can begin anywhere with Delany, most readers will want to
start with this memoir, chronicling his marriage to the poet Marilyn
Hacker, his early career as a writer, and the bubbling sexual
expansiveness of gay male culture in midcentury Manhattan.

Return to Nevèrÿon

Delany’s four-volume, very queer fantasy series repays the reader’s
attention. The world he builds begins with a slave uprising and tracks
the self-emancipated Gorgik the Liberator as he travels the countryside
fomenting further rebellions. The third book, “Flight From Nevèrÿon,”
contains the now-canonical story “The Tale of Plagues and Carnivals,”
which tracks the outbreak of a plague closely paralleling the onset of
the AIDS crisis in New York.

Dhalgren

The travels of an amnesiac drifter through a burnt-out,
alternate-reality America. There may be no other novel of the 1970s, or
since, that so profoundly captures the dire atmosphere of a nation in
economic and political free fall, and the persistence of love and the
survival of eros amid such total brutality.

Times Square Red, Times Square Blue

Two extended essays on the social space of Times Square as it has been
transformed by waves of gentrification that routed the thriving gay male
cultures congregating in its porn theaters. Taking inspiration from
Pound’s “Cantos,” Delany poses the essays as “periploi”: contemporary
versions of classical and medieval descriptions of coastlines, used as
aids to early navigators. The “temporal coastline” of the midcentury
42nd Street/8th Avenue zone comes to life in Delany’s classic of queer
history.

About Writing

Even if you aren’t a writer, you will be fascinated by Delany’s
generous, indispensable collection of essays on the practice and theory
of writing. He has pointed his erudition and imagination toward concrete
advice on building sentences, using adjectives and structuring fictional
works. The thoughtfulness of this effort makes clear how seriously
Delany takes the reader’s experience of his texts, and how devoted he
has been to confecting dreamworlds for us. “The fiction writer,” he says
in a bit of advice that might describe his own oeuvre, “is trying to
create a false memory with the force of history.”