[Marxism] Fear vs. Fear

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Aug 13 06:19:55 MDT 2019

(Chris Hedges preaches righteously.)

We will save ourselves only by pitting power against power. And since
our two major political parties slavishly serve corporate power, and
have few substantial differences on nearly all major issues from
imperialism to unfettered capitalism, we must start from scratch. The
political personalities, including those on the left such as Alexandria
Ocasio-Cortez, Bernie Sanders, Ilhan Omar and Elizabeth Warren, are
distractions. They have no power within the Democratic Party, as Nancy
Pelosi often reminds us. They serve to reduce politics to personal
feuds, the currency of the vast reality show perpetrated for profit by
corporate media. The daily back and forth by these personalities diverts
our attention from the rapid consolidation of wealth and power by the
ruling elites, the degradation of the ecosystem into a toxic wasteland
and the eradication of basic freedoms and rights. The American political
system is not salvageable. It will be overthrown in a mass uprising—a
version of which we saw recently in Puerto Rico—or vast swaths of the
globe will become uninhabitable and the rich will feed like ghouls off
the mounting human misery. These are the two stark options. And we have
very little time left.

full: https://www.truthdig.com/articles/fear-vs-fear/