[Marxism] Once Upon a Time in Hollywood | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Aug 16 10:12:02 MDT 2019

After being sorely disappointed by Quentin Tarantino’s last two films—
“The Hateful Eight” and “Django Unchained” —I decided to wait for a
studio screener of “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” in November. This is
when I customarily get freebies from studio publicists hoping to
influence my vote in NYFCO’s awards meeting in early December. But when
I discovered that the film had antagonized some people on the left, I
decided to get a senior’s ticket to see for myself what was going on.

Tarantino has the distinction of being the only filmmaker whose entire
corpus I have seen. Since he has made only 8 films in the past 27 years,
that’s a relatively easy task. Unlike Woody Allen, who churns films out
like they were made on an assembly line, Tarantino takes his time. As
for time itself, you can say that it erodes the talents of even the
greatest artists. In the case of Hollywood legends like Woody and
Quentin, the erosion process combines with their control of every aspect
of film production to degrade the quality of the product. Who would dare
say anything about the Emperor’s New Clothes?

After Tarantino left The Weinstein Company in the aftermath of #MeToo’s
spotlight on Harvey Weinstein and joined the Sony Corporation, he was
guaranteed full control over “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”. That’s too
bad because someone might have vetoed the film’s co-star Brad Pitt
playing a stunt man whose claim to fame (or infamy) was killing his wife
and then being found not guilty in OJ Simpson style. Why was he cleared,
you ask? You won’t find the answer in Tarantino’s film. Maybe he lost
the pages of his script answering this question one morning on the way
to the studio and forgot all about it.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2019/08/16/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood/