[Marxism] The Misconception about Baby Boomers and the Sixties | The New Yorker

Ken Hiebert knhiebert at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 19 10:13:56 MDT 2019

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-misconception-about-baby-boomers-and-the-sixties <https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-misconception-about-baby-boomers-and-the-sixties>

Menard makes some good points.  Let’s start with the point that you cannot characterize a whole generation.  We could identify many different trends among young people, some of them distinctly conservative and reactionary.  But it remains the case that a large number of baby boomers were open to radical ideas.

Menard presents us with an impressive list of people who came to prominence in the 60’s, but were born as far back as 1920 (or in the case of Dr. Seuss, 1904).  But if a different trend were dominant among young people, many of those names would be unknown to us today.

A personal note.  Sometimes the difference of a few years makes for very different experiences.  A cousin just a few years older than me contracted polio (briefly).  Born in 1945, I was one off the who benefitted from Dr. Salk’s vaccine.

  ken h