[Marxism] The Misconception about Baby Boomers and the Sixties | The New Yorker

Michael Meeropol mameerop at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 11:51:35 MDT 2019

Everyone who was of "college age" between 1965 (when the first major
anti-war demonstrations occurred --- the year of the Selma to Montgomery
March) and 1975 (whenever you want to date the end of "the sixties") was
born after 1945 --- it was young people (in the South they were even
younger, think of the children being arrested in Birmingham in 1963) who
were the participants in the Civil Rights and Anti-War movements (as well
as most of the draftees who served in Vietnam after the US escalation) ---
So Menard is engaged in a bit of sleight of hand by emphasizing those who
had the cameras and microphones beginning in the early and mid 1960s ---

I think the reason people (journalists, historians, etc.?) made such a big
deal about the baby boom is not just its size but the transformatio of
American culture and society that occurred during their time of adulthood
(1965-1990s --???) --- I mean the changes for women and the LGBTQ
communities are still going on -- that those changes began with the early
sparks of "women's liberation" and Stonewall ---

 Angelus Novus via Marxism <marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:

The article is no doubt correct, but on the other hand, I think it would be
fair to say that young boomers were substantially involved in 1970s labor
struggles such as the wildcat at Dodge Truck in 1974, or the 1972 Lordstown
Strike.  A few authors have pointed out that it wasn't until "the 70s" that
"the 60s" had reached the industrial working class, and it's undoubtedly
the case that many of those workers were young boomers.
<http://www.marxmail.org/sub.htm>
<https://lists.csbs.utah.edu/options/marxism/mameerop%40gmail.com>