[Marxism] Quentin Tarantino, Eileen Jones, and the perils of film school theorizing | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Richard Modiano richardmodiano at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 14:50:55 MDT 2019

>From my experience this is an accurate take. I went to graduate school at
NYU in the 1970s working on an M.A. in Cinema Studies. What I experienced
was the actual movies being used as grist for the theoretical mills. The
kind of political film criticism that was clear, jargon free and useful to
me were pieces like Brecht's review of "Gunga Din" (1939) (reprinted in
Brecht on Theater.)

Richard Modiano