[Marxism] Quentin Tarantino, Eileen Jones, and the perils of film school theorizing | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Aug 21 15:08:44 MDT 2019

On 8/21/19 4:01 PM, Jeffrey Masko wrote:
> No, you are not stepping on my toes because Cinema and Media Studies is
> a real thing taught in higher ed, "Film Journalism" - or movie
> reviewing, is not. You do catch my attention though, like sand in the
> eyes, when you try to present what you do on your blog as something that
> connects Marxist theories - of film, media, or anything else - to film,
> media, or other moments of cultural production. Not sure if you call
> yourself a Marxist film reviewer, but it's more like a film reviewer
> that happens to be a Marxist.

I also write about TV shows, novels, music, and other aspects of
culture. I wouldn't be at all interested in "theorizing" about any of
these things. My theorizing is strictly limited to things like American
slavery, the Democratic Party, fascism, etc.

My inspiration for film journalism is Roger Ebert, not any film or
communications professor writing for academic journals. I critiqued
Eileen Jones because her theorizing about Tarantino was totally absurd.
Calling the alternative history of the Sharon Tate story "radical" and
likening it to Eisenstein or Vertov was laughable.

I should add that Eileen Jones mostly writes reviews like mine but about
commercial junk that I generally avoid. Her take on Tarantino's latest
was not the typical jargon-filled baloney you read in a film journal but
it certainly reflected film school tendencies.

Finally, I am not that impressed with any Marxism that is based in the
academy. From Zizek to Robert Brenner, there's just a kind of failure to
engage with the real class relations of capitalist society that makes me
think I made the right decision to give up on getting a PhD in
philosophy back in 1967 and getting educated by people like George
Novack, Farrell Dobbs and Joe Hansen. Their "vanguardism" was a mistake
but their analysis of American society was not.