[Marxism] Quentin Tarantino, Eileen Jones, and the perils of film school theorizing | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Jeffrey Masko j.alan.masko at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 09:11:13 MDT 2019

Good and bad news here, the bad news is as an academic subject, we do use
jargon - such as "intellectual montage" instead of "Hollywood montage" -
comes from theory, so yes jargon can still be used to mystify positions
taken on interpretation. One the other hand, we are a long way away from
the 70s; film study in no longer a humanities based project, but more
fruitfully finds its home in communication studies, especially mass comm,
among others. One of my mentors, Bill Nichols had read ALL film criticism
while at UCLA in the early 70s; now one could not read all of the
literature coming out in any given quarter, so quite a bit more going on
now than in the 70s. To me this is not a question of using theory, but
which ones and to what extent and purpose.