[Marxism] [SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE] Time Thieves

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Aug 23 10:32:37 MDT 2019

As I have pointed out in previous reviews, Icarus, the New York film
distributor, is far and away the most important source of
anti-capitalist documentaries. In keeping with their commitment to class
struggle cinema, “Time Thieves”, their latest, hones in on the ways in
which the capitalist system makes us slaves to the clock.

When I worked at a Boston bank in the early 70s, I kept Marx’s words
pinned to my cubicle wall:

	The worker therefore only feels himself outside his work, and in his
work feels outside himself. He feels at home when he is not working, and
when he is working he does not feel at home. His labor is therefore not
voluntary, but coerced; it is forced labor. It is therefore not the
satisfaction of a need; it is merely a means to satisfy needs external
to it.

	–Economic and Philosophical Manuscripts of 1844

At the start of “Time Thieves”, we see people of all ages at leisure
enjoying themselves. After a minute or so, we see another cross-section
of humanity trudging off to work or to school as narrator Sarah Davidson
comments: “Under capitalism, time has become a resource with a huge
economic value. And those profiting from it want as much of our time as
possible. They even steal it from us.”

Director Cosima Dannoritzer begins by showing the chaos that ensues when
a new restaurant billed as completely staff-less opens up. Patrons save
money by preparing the meals themselves, going one step further than the
automats that enjoyed a heyday in the 30s through the 50s. In the
kitchen, it is a miracle that those conned into trying this out did not
lose a finger or suffer third-degree burns. I say conned because we soon
learn that a restaurant workers union staged the whole thing to
illustrate the importance of having trained professionals doing the work.

full: https://secure-web.cisco.com/1lWaFUw-UQi3620XaV8gXK9J3rRD7-cXIdxGHWFomnoQKqplk_YJWee8Pm5FYpbjSbFwLX2AQgYM5vZLfI2peyuMcXfJPykk-arNEkN4NKbY4fbaqO_uf8Gu9m0QfGkK1XcTT8hmRQ4iswAWVF4VqngJ8St24bfW0R0QgEkj0FwgWWkj_Q8onb5ix7_-o22Ci_lg-c7rVQKgDKKBsyUDk88kJm--E9uNjEHWmhxc2VFm4w1tplEKtcflSt7DF5E9SJnlY97uejGFpBZ_C_MjtNbHTaQRUauoAfe4-PSZMks6KrX6KsVev5YgHhxNkhRdNQTB5R2DpLhI0PNAIOSGwfkhmYKIzPcduSO25H112xzuhDcBa4Wolx_V5bMwKLnN5xrMqsWO2JCbR1wS_pzSZsA/https%3A%2F%2Flouisproyect.org%2F2019%2F08%2F23%2Ftime-thieves%2F