[Marxism] What Dominika Siemińska says about the graves in Volodymyr-Volynskyi, Ukraine

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Aug 26 16:11:41 MDT 2019

If you've been following this admittedly complex thread, you might
recall that Furr held up the report of Dominika Siemińska as absolving
Stalin. According to him, if this Polish archaeologist found physical
evidence indicting the Nazis, how can anybody blame Stalin?

I just received a PDF copy of a book titled "The Materiality of Troubled
Pasts: Archaeologies of Conflicts and Wars" from one of the 3 editors.
Generally, I have access to just about everything from Columbia or other
research libraries through Borrow Direct or ILL but in this case the
book was not available from Columbia or Amazon.

I was interested in an article by Dominika Siemińska in the book titled
"Archaeological Studies on World War II Totalitarianism in the Yard of a
Mediaeval Hill Fort in Volodymyr-Volynskyi, Ukraine". I plan to give it
a thorough review but in the meantime this excerpt from the article will
give you an idea of Furr's reliability:

In the case of Grave no. 4, excavated artefacts, the method of
execution, and observations of taphonomical and post-depositional
processes allow us to classify the remains as murder victims of the NKVD
from 1940 or the first half of 1941. The majority were men as confirmed
by recovered objects, garment fragments and anthropological analyses
(Iwanek 2013). Footwear examples with elements cut off and primitive
repairs can indicate that these persons had spent quite long periods in
prison. It is possible they were the people building defensive
embankments in the area of Volodymyr. On the one hand, objects such as
large quantities of coins, knives or tool sets could not belong to
people imprisoned for a long period and, therefore the victims could
have been people murdered directly after being arrested (Głowacki 1997:
21–23). On the other hand, fragments of uniforms and military equipment
indicate soldiers and policemen were part of this group of victims.

Studying Grave no. 5, we can suppose that the execution coincided with
the earliest dates of coins found with the year 1939. The
characteristics of execution itself and the method of burial indicate
the methods of NKVD. Most skulls have bullet inlets in occipital bones
and their diameter is about 8 mm. Probably, guns in the calibre of 7.62
or 7.65 mm were used. The individuals were shot in the back of the head
and at a location outside the grave. All were adult men either civilian
or soldier. These facts are confirmed by the garment fragments,
footwear, equipment, and personal objects recovered by excavation. These
people may have been representatives of administration, officials,
functionaries, political and social activists, landowners or soldiers,
all murdered after the Soviet army entered the territory and new
authority structures were established (Filar 2012: 40–42; Bass 2013).