[Marxism] Capital has an Internationale and it is going fascist: time for an international of the global popular classes, William I. Robinson

Ralph Johansen mdriscollrj at charter.net
Fri Aug 30 21:20:25 MDT 2019

Capital has an Internationale and it is going fascist: time for an
international of the global popular classes
William I. Robinson
https://doi.org/10.1080/14747731.2019.1654706

Published online: 27 Aug 2019.S

William I. Robinson, Department of Sociology, University of California
at Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA, USA

ABSTRACT

Global capitalism is approaching a general crisis of capitalist rule. It
is urgent to renovate a popular revolutionary project and refound the
state if we are to combat the onslaught of the neo-fascist right. Amin’s
call for a new Internationale is a timely move in that direction,
notwithstanding the many challenges of organizing such an
Internationale. Developing an umbrella program must engage political and
theoretical debate on the nature of the new global capitalism, learn
from the failures of Syriza in Greece and the Pink Tide in Latin
America, and reconceive the three-way relationship between states,
parties, and social movements.  The  downward  mobility  and
destabilization of working classes in the former First World and the
destruction of the old labor aristocracies provides the recruiting
grounds for 21st century fascism but also new opportunities for
transnational North-South solidarities. A new Internationale must
identify and prioritize the class antagonisms within and across
countries and regions over core-periphery or Global North-South
contradictions.

Full at https://tinyurl.com/yxdaug7p