[Marxism] A dissolving exoplanet prophesies our solar system's final days | Salon.com

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Dec 9 05:55:29 MST 2019

(Five billion years? Not to worry. We won't make it to the year 2300 at
the rate things are going unless we've gone communist.)

Our sun is categorized as a yellow dwarf star, and is still in the early
phase of its life, generating excess energy by fusing hydrogen into
helium. In about 5 billion years, the sun will run out of its supply of
hydrogen, and, being too cool to fuse higher elements, will cease
thermonuclear fusion. At that point, the sun will expand, transform into
a red giant, growing hundreds of times larger and engulfing nearby
planets, like Mercury, Venus and perhaps Earth.

https://www.salon.com/2019/12/08/a-dissolving-exoplanet-prophesies-our-solar-systems-final-days/