[Marxism] If You Want Peace, You Get War; If You Want War, You Get Rich: The Fiftieth Newsletter (2019).

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Dec 12 07:40:20 MST 2019

A quarter century ago, Victoria Sandino Palmera joined the Revolutionary
Armed Forces of Colombia – People’s Army (FARC-EP). She had previously
been a militant in the Communist Party and – when FARC-EP was above
ground in the 1990s – joined the Patriotic Pole. But the repression of
what she calls the ‘traditional oligarchy’ sent her back to the jungle
over and over again. Victoria Sandino made it clear that she was not
keen on this war. ‘We didn’t take up weapons because we felt the need to
use violence’, she told me in 2015. ‘We took up weapons because we tried
to resolve the land question through democratic means, which was
violently responded to by the state. Violence was imposed on us’.

https://mailchi.mp/thetricontinental.org/if-you-want-peace-you-get-war-if-you-want-war-you-get-rich-the-fiftieth-newsletter-2019?e=77bd6c9887