[Marxism] Corbyn and Brexit

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Dec 15 16:39:22 MST 2019

I'm trying to catch up on this Corbyn defeat by reading NLR articles
going back to 2016. I am reading Susan Watkins from that year, which is
titled "Casting Off". (It's not behind a paywall.) I was struck by this
paragraph that summed up the 2016 Brexit referendum, where all this
stuff began. Anybody reading this should not be surprised that Corbyn
got clobbered:

"As the results came in, the scale of the upset became apparent: a
decisive 52:48 defeat for the government and its array of international
allies, on a 72.2 per cent turnout that broke all recent records. In
social terms, nearly two-thirds of the working class (C2, D, E), which
overall makes up some 46 per cent of the population, voted Leave, on a
turnout six or seven points above recent general elections."

https://newleftreview.org/issues/II100/articles/susan-watkins-casting-off