[Marxism] When Rights Collide

MM marxmail00 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 21:11:39 MST 2019

> On Dec 21, 2019, at 8:09 PM, Philip Ferguson via Marxism <marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:
>

>From the piece:

“The distinction between biological sex and gender is paramount. Biological sex is an objective attribute. Gender, on the other hand, is a collection of subjective preferences, behaviors and stereotypes. Positions and arguments that fail to appreciate this distinction are built on sand, with no firm foundation and no logical consistency.”

Let’s talk about logical consistency. The following two assertions are made back-to-back in the linked piece:

1. “[I]t’s important to recognize that, like most species, humans are sexually dimorphic, with 99.98% of all humans clearly identifiable at birth as either male or female.

2. While gender  expression can change over time for both individuals and society as a whole, biological sex is immutable.

Without getting into the numbers, the second assertion directly contradicts the first — unless perhaps the word “immutable” is to be construed in some miraculously dialectical way.

When people ostensibly on the left start insisting that others simply accede to their terminology in order to be taken seriously, it’s time to accept that they’re not interested in good-faith dialogue. They’re shouting. Actually, it starts to sound a lot like Jordan Peterson or Ben Shapiro (which may not be coincidental).

I understand why Louis is reluctant to take steps to keep this shit off the list, but I’d appreciate at least getting a temperature check to know whether any of the odious nonsense that Philip keeps posting is considered to deserve substantive engagement. I’m happy to just ignore it if I know that everyone else is ignoring it too, although it seems like there is at least some degree of hesitation among at least some list members to do so. Maybe Louis could take some kind of off-the-record poll, since it seems like relatively few people are willing to take a position for the record. But this is getting tedious.

PS: Is there a functionally Marxist definition of “paramount”? Asking for a friend.