[Marxism] NYTimes.com: American Jews and Israeli Jews Are Headed for a Messy Breakup

John Reimann 1999wildcat at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 14:15:24 MST 2019

From The New York Times:

American Jews and Israeli Jews Are Headed for a Messy Breakup

Is the world ready for another Great Schism?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/04/opinion/sunday/israeli-jews-american-jews-divide.html

"Yossi Klein Halevi, the American-born Israeli author, has framed this moment starkly <https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/29/world/middleeast/pittsburgh-killings-jewish-rifts.html?module=inline>: Israeli Jews believe deeply that President Trump recognizes their existential threats. In scuttling the Obama-era Iran nuclear deal, which many Israelis saw as imperiling their security, in moving the American Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, in basically doing whatever the government of Benjamin Netanyahu asks, they see a president of the United States acting to save their lives.
American Jews, in contrast, see President Trump as their existential threat, a leader who they believe has stoked nationalist bigotry, stirred anti-Semitism and, time and time again, failed to renounce the violent hatred swirling around his political movement. The F.B.I. reports that hate crimes in the United States jumped 17 percent in 2017, with a 37 percent spike in crimes against Jews and Jewish institutions.

When neither side sees the other as caring for its basic well-being, “that is a gulf that cannot be bridged,” Michael Siegel, the head rabbi at Chicago’s Conservative Anshe Emet Synagogue, told me recently. He is an ardent Zionist….

"Zionism divided American Jewry for much of the latter 19th century and the first half of the 20th century. Those divisions remained in the early decades of the Jewish state, fading only with the triumph of the Arab-Israeli War of 1967 and the peril of the Yom Kippur War.
Now many American Jews, especially young American Jews, would say, Israel is Israel’s problem. We have our own.

There are roughly 6.5 million Jews in Israel. There are roughly 5.7 million Jews in America. Increasingly, they see the world in starkly different ways.

The Great Schism is upon us.”

And none too soon!