[Marxism] Who Thinks Abstractly? 2.0 - COSMONAUT

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Jan 15 16:04:52 MST 2019

The world is complicated and opaque. The old societies, such as
hunter-gatherer tribes or agricultural communities, could comprehend
themselves in a more total way than modern societies. We may understand
better today the laws that rule the natural universe, laws that we have
been able to manipulate to send man to space, impregnate the air with
electromagnetic waves that carry instantaneous messages, and annihilate
whole cities with the mass-energy of atoms. But the self-comprehension
of ourselves as a society is lower than in antiquity, for today’s laws
that make the community flourish are sunken below layers of complexity
and abstraction. In ancient cities, like Rome, or Athens – or
inclusively in the urbanization projects of many developing countries of
the 20th century – the restrictions that inhibited flourishing were well
known. For the destiny of communities was rooted in their capacity to
create the calories and housing necessary to sustain a population, and
these activities were constrained by the capacity of agriculture to
create sufficient flows of energy.

full: https://cosmonaut.blog/2019/01/15/who-thinks-abstractly/