[Marxism] From Exile to Dirtbag: Edgelord geopolitics and the rise of “National Bolshevism” in the U.S.

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jan 21 17:51:45 MST 2019

On 1/21/19 7:28 PM, A.R. G via Marxism wrote:
> 1) Despite the title, there is no evidence in his piece or anywhere else
> that National Bolshevism is in any way a meaningful trend, let alone "on
> the rise" in the United States.

It depends on what you mean by "on the rise". There is certainly no
danger of them filling Madison Square Garden like the German-American
Bund did in 1939 but there certainly is a problem when Richard Spencer
describes himself as a fan of both eXile and Chapo Trap House. Or when
Norman Finkelstein is listed as a columnist for a neo-Nazi website like
UNZ.com. And when I asked him why he would lend his name to such a
cesspool, he told me that he would write for anybody, even the NY Times.
(Later I found out that he was paid $40,000 by Ron Unz.)

UNZ.com is a consciously Strasserite website. Not only is Finkelstein a
columnist, so are Michael Hudson and Tom Engelhardt. When I asked Hudson
why he would lend his name to such a website, he said he'd think about
it. He is still there. As for Engelhardt, he doesn't even answer
repeated queries about this.

We had a big to-do with a character named C.J. Hopkins who got the boot
from Counterpunch for writing on UNZ.com, blaming me for this when I had
nothing to do with it. In fact, there are a host of people who have been
purged from Counterpunch who could be described as National Bolsheviks,
starting with Diana Johnstone who has described Marine Le Pen as on the
left. Then there is Boris Kagarlitsky who still writes for Counterpunch
from time to time who attended a conference organized by the Austrian
neo-Nazis a few years ago.

This is not to speak of Max Blumenthal's bromance with Tucker Carlson
who has recently gained attention for calling out the capitalist system
as unfair. Strasserism? Maybe not full-blown but it *is* a growing
phenomenon and has been for a decade at least.