[Marxism] ZCommunications » The System’s Falling Apart

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Jan 22 06:09:19 MST 2019

As a young activist in the late 1960s and early ‘70s, I heard plenty of
Marxist dogma from left-wing sects that proselytized in major colleges
and cities about how “monopoly capitalism is entering its final crisis.”
The warnings of apocalyptic collapse were constant. They sounded absurd,
more so as years passed with nothing close to a final crackup – no more
convincing to me than the Jehovah’s Witnesses at my door with their
articles of faith.

Back then, up through the early 1970s, our country’s economy was
expanding, the middle class was growing and industrialists largely
tolerated unions. US-style capitalism went on to spread globally.

But lately I’ve been wondering whether those Marxists were correct after
all, if only a few decades premature. Take a deep look at two pillars of
Western capitalism – the United States and the United Kingdom – and you
see that there is something graver in today’s political crises than in
most past ones.

full: https://zcomm.org/znetarticle/the-systems-falling-apart/