[Marxism] Who Shut Down the Shutdown? | New Politics

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Jan 26 19:03:31 MST 2019

Who ended the shutdown? The Democrats? Nancy Pelosi? Mitch McConnell?
None of the above.

The shutdown got shut down when workers took Laguardia Airport off-line
on Friday, January 25. A rolling disaster of massive commercial
disruption was about to unfold for capitalist America and that pushed
the GOP over the edge.

Disgusted and outraged employees – TSA security and FAA air traffic
controllers – did what their unions should have done at least two weeks
ago.  We don’t know what positive role IF ANY their national union
leadership played here. More likely, as with all great accomplishments
for workers rights, the real leadership probably came from the bottom,
from the workers collectively voting with their feet.

In past momentous worker actions (like getting the 8 hour day) what
typically happened was some outrage finally broke the camel’s back and
thousands of workers hit the streets, with their leadership frantically
racing to catch-up with the members. We’ll have to watch and see if the
current union leadership at the top even bothers to get out and walk
quickly, let alone run; to acknowledge the profound lesson we just
learned, again.

full: http://newpol.org/content/who-shut-down-shutdown