[Marxism] IMPORTANT GILETS JAUNES INFO

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Jan 29 10:47:00 MST 2019

(From David McDonald on FB)

PLEASE READ AND CIRCULATE -- IMPORTANT GILETS JAUNES INFO

Note by David:

Many many have wondered about the politics of the Gilets Jaunes because
their protests have been so elemental and hostile to the existing
political forces. Some, like Kester Ratcliff, have decided the GJ are
unalterably right-wing in nature, but he's not the only one.

Below, my Parisian correspondent summarizes and translates various
portions of the statement issued by the first Assembly of the Assemblies
in Commercy that ought to lay such fears to rest and inspire admiration
and solidarity for the Gilets Jaunes. Do note that this (so far) most
authoritative communication from the assembled GJ calls for a general
strike on February 5.

Last weekend more than 350 delegates came to the first
Assembly of the Assemblies taking place in Commercy (Lorraine). They
represented 75 assemblies from across the country.

[The Assembly adopted on Sunday a text to present to local assemblies
for discussion and adoption.
I translated some excerpts: -- my correspondent talking]

We, Gilets Jaunes from traffic circles, parking lots, town squares,
assemblies, protests, we gathered on the 26 and 27 of January 2019 ...

Since November 17, from the smallest village in rural areas to the
biggest city, we rose up against this most violent, unjust and
unbearable society... [We want] for our families and children to live in
dignity. 26 billionaires own as much as half of mankind, we can't accept
that... End social inequality! We demand the immediate raise of wages,
minimum social incomes, pensions..., the unconditional right to housing
and health care, education, free public services for all. It's for these
rights that ... we organize these actions, protests ... With our yellow
vests we reclaim our right to be heard, we who are never heard. ... the
government's response? Repression, contempt, vilifying us... A few died
and thousands where injured, weapons were massively used at close
range... More than 1,000 were convicted and are in jail. And now this
so-called anti-casseur law*, whose real aim is to deny us the right to
protest... To protest is a fundamental right. End the impunity of the
police forces!

Amnesty for all the repression victims! And what a sham this 'great
debate' ... The real democracy, we are practicing it in our assemblies,
our traffic circles...

The demands and strategic proposals most discussed [in local assemblies]
include: eradication of poverty in all its manifestations;
transformation of the institutions (RIC, Constituent Assembly; end the
privileges of those elected [MPs, senators, ...]); environmental
transition; equal rights for all, whatever their nationality, whether
valid or handicapped, man/woman; end the abandonment of 'quartiers
populaires' [working-class ghettos], rural areas and the overseas
departments and territories [Martinique, Guadeloupe, Reunion ...]

We call to pursue the Acts [Saturday protests] (Act XII against police
brutality outside police stations, Act XIII, XIV, ...), continue
occupying traffic circles, block the economy, build a massive renewable
strike, starting February 5.

Form committees in workplaces, schools, and elsewhere so that this
strike can be built at the grassroots level by the strikers
themselves... Don't stay isolated, join us! We propose to all the Gilets
Jaunes to circulate this resolution.
If you---as a group of gilets jaunes---approve it, send your signature
to Commercy. Don't hesitate to discuss and express proposals for the
future assembly of the assemblies, that we are already preparing.

Note [by my correspondent]
* casseur: literally the one who smash [windows]---refers to those who
smash stores/banks windows, ...
Under this (newly adopted by the Parliament) law anyone deemed a
'casseur' by the authorities can be banned from demonstrations. The
government also plans on intensifying searches, criminalizing
protesters, ... Marine Le Pen, who likes to portray herself as a
supporter of the Gilets Jaunes, immediately announced that she would
vote for the law.