[Marxism] Why the Anthropocene is not 'climate change' — and why that matters

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jan 31 10:38:05 MST 2019

(This is exactly the kind of point I have been making even if it was in
the context of the Green New Deal rather than the anthropocene.)

The climate has certainly changed, but so too have other aspects of the
planetary system. Take the lithosphere: 193,000 human-made “inorganic
crystalline compounds,” or what you and I might call “rocks,” now vastly
outnumber Earth’s ~5000 natural minerals, while 8.3 billion tons of
plastics coat the land, water, and our internal organs. Due to modern
agribusiness techniques, so much topsoil is washing away that England
has only about 60 more harvests left.

https://climateandcapitalism.com/2019/01/31/why-the-anthropocene-is-not-climate-change-and-why-that-matters/