[Marxism] 'We Can't Be Radical Enough' as Ice Melts and Global Mass Extinction Threatens

Ralph Johansen mdriscollrj at charter.net
Tue Jul 9 16:25:30 MDT 2019

*https://tinyurl.com/y27mqwbl

Moreover:
*
*Nearly 1/2 of the world's population - more than 3 billion people -
live on less than $2.50 a day.
More than 1.3 billion people live in extreme poverty - less than $1.25 a
day.
1 billion children worldwide are living in poverty.
According to UNICEF, 22,000 children die each day due to poverty.
And there are 140 million people who are either poor or low income here
in the United States.

The poorest among us globally, ***those who are without work to sustain
them as the corporate imperative of profit by keeping labor costs low
increasingly compels substitution of machine power, robotization and
artificial intelligence for paid human labor, *****those who live on the
edges of our continents midst rising seal level, those who are or will
soon be without food and water resources as *********the glaciers
recede,*** rivers atrophy, oceans, land and atmosphere deteriorate,**
those who must become homeless migrants ***and move elsewhere *in order
to survive, those who cannot afford the inevitably rising costs of food
and survival, these are the first and most severely affected, but not
the last, to need our compassion, solidarity and mutual aid.

And every aspect of our planetary existence - sentient and all - is at risk.

The US middle and upper classes, less than 4% of the world's population,
including me and all those around me, consume about 1/4 of the planet's
resources. The most indulged, arrogant and ill-informed upper and middle
class - willfully and by ruling design - in history. Our ability to
continue in this mode is protected and advanced by the most effective
lethal, destructive persuasion, enforcement and military power ever
assembled.

Those who know this, who continue to accept it and benefit from it
instead of fighting against it, those who know the effects of that
system on climate change, those who know all this and do not exert every
possible effort, in cooperation with all others, in every waking moment,
to understand the system responsible for this condition in order to
change it, are failing their responsibilities to their progeny, their
species and to the earth that sustains us. By now in criminal ways,
given the accruing despoliation, looting and mayhem created.

*