[Marxism] “I Do Not Care If We Go Down in History as Barbarians” | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 19 11:39:21 MDT 2019

Unless you are an aficionado of foreign films, it is likely that you are
not aware that Romania has become one of the leading centers of
avant-garde cinema. Like France in the late 50s and early 60s, a
nouvelle vague movement in Romania appears to come out of nowhere. Among
the best known Romanian directors is Cristi Puiu, whose 2005 “The Death
of Mr. Lazarescu” set the standard for the country’s great leap forward.
Like every other Romanian film I have seen since 2005, Radu Jude’s “I Do
Not Care If We Go Down in History as Barbarians” is both politically and
artistically stunning. Using techniques that were pioneered by Jean-Luc
Godard in the 1960s, Jude has confronted Romania’s blind spot, namely
the widespread refusal of its citizens to acknowledge its military’s
responsibility for murdering over 100,000 Jews in 1941 when it was
allied with Nazi Germany. Known as the Odessa Massacre (Odessa was
within Romania’s borders at the time), it was seen by some historians as
the beginning of the holocaust.

full:
https://louisproyect.org/2019/07/19/i-do-not-care-if-we-go-down-in-history-as-barbarians/