[Marxism] The world’s scariest economist? | Michael Roberts Blog

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 26 05:49:59 MDT 2019

As Mazzucato makes clear in her second book, The Value of Everything,
government investment and production does create value ie things or
services we need and is not just a (necessary) cost. But as I commented
in a review of that book, in Marxist terms, Mazzucato conflates value
with use-value.  Yes, government investment in schools, hospitals,
transport, infrastructure and technology creates useful things, but
under the capitalist mode of production for profit, it does not create
value (surplus value or profit).  On the contrary, it can lower overall
profitability for the capitalist sector. So there is an inherent
contradiction in capitalism between more use-value and value.

https://thenextrecession.wordpress.com/2019/07/26/the-worlds-scariest-economist/