[Marxism] What, or whom, will we eat? | Richard Seymour on Patreon

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 26 10:50:14 MDT 2019

Every now and again, a headline just begs to be interrogated. 'Cheap
food', it is reported, is destroying both human and ecological health.
It's not untrue. In fact, it's an urgent and under-studied fact.

But, you might think, what's the alternative? Expensive food? Smaller
diets? There seems no way to impose such strictures on the rich, without
actually hurting the poor. Moreover, if we  insist that we can't feed
people cheaply without causing ecological collapse, do we have to become
Malthusians? We can't evade the fact of natural limits to the planet's
systems. But how close we are to those limits, and the effects they
have, is obviously contingent on our social system. And, of course, the
way it uses technologies.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/what-or-whom-we-28650488