[Marxism] Music’s Shift From Analog to Digital Changed Everything | The Nation

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu May 2 06:07:49 MDT 2019

Ways of Hearing began life as a podcast series on Radiotopia, but
Krukowski, following Berger, always meant to publish it as a book as
well. “It’s my intuition that you get all these different things from a
page than you do from your ears, and I wanted to do both,” he said over
the phone from his home in Cambridge, Massachusetts. A slim volume with
eye-catching illustrations, Ways of Hearing invites readers to consider
how the shift from analog to digital distribution has changed our
relationships to music and to one another. It’s an accessible critique
of capitalism disguised as a meditation on playback technology, a dip
into critical theory for those who covet vinyl crackles and tape hiss
but can’t quite put their finger on why.

https://www.thenation.com/article/damon-krukowski-music-marx-ways-of-hearing-podcast-book-review/