[Marxism] Angels and Demons | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri May 3 09:16:46 MDT 2019

Newly released by Zero Books, Tony McKenna’s aptly titled “Angels and
Demons” is a collection of profiles of some very good and some very bad
people in the past and present. It is the kind of book that is hard to
find nowadays and a throwback in some ways to Lytton Strachey’s “Eminent
Victorians” or Edmund Wilson’s “Axel’s Castle”. Like Strachey and
Wilson, he evaluates prominent individuals against their social backdrop
and from a decidedly radical perspective. It is a book that has the
author’s customary psychological insight and literary grace. As we shall
see, it demonstrates a remarkable breadth of knowledge about disparate
cultural, political and intellectual strands that is seldom seen today
in an age of specialization.

Your natural tendency is to think of human nature when people are
categorized as either angels like Jeremy Corbyn or demons like Donald
Trump. However, it is instead powerful historical forces that act on
individuals and bring out their worst and their best, especially during
periods of acute class tensions. In today’s polarized world, it is easy
to understand why we end up with either a Corbyn or a Trump. As William
Butler Yeats put it, the center cannot hold.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2019/05/03/angels-and-demons/