[Marxism] The Price of Meat | The New Republic

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue May 7 06:19:42 MDT 2019

As Joshua Specht shows in Red Meat Republic, the wide availability of
beef has long been deeply entwined with the expansion of American
commerce and power. As cattle ranching and meat-packing transformed the
economy in the late nineteenth century, the United States acquired new
territories, the apparatus of the state grew, and Americans came to
expect cheap and plentiful meat. Our desire for hamburgers is
inseparable from the economic system we have set up. It follows that
only a broader challenge to the system could alter our patterns of
consumption, even if your main beef with those patterns is concerns with
how cows are treated or what humans ought to eat.

full:
https://newrepublic.com/article/153792/red-meat-republic-book-review-joshua-specht