[Marxism] “What Went Wrong in the Nineties”: NATO, the EU, and Eastern European Cinema | Lefteast

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed May 8 06:00:04 MDT 2019

If ­­­­­­­­I could summarize the discussion titled “What Went Wrong in
the Nineties” held at the GoEast Film Festival in Wiesbaden, Germany, in
April, I would draw on the name of the festival itself to call it: “Go
West!” Bringing together an eclectic mix of professionals, the
hour-and-a-half-long talk turned out to be not only a lesson in further
humility for the austerity-ridden and transition-fatigued East
Europeans, but a telling example that what actually did go wrong in the
nineties—namely the financialization of Eastern Europe and its (re)turn
to the status of a Western colony—continues to be openly celebrated (in
a majority of political circles) rather than critiqued and deplored.

http://www.criticatac.ro/lefteast/what-went-wrong-in-the-90s-cinema/