[Marxism] Bernie and the Sandernistas | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri May 10 08:46:27 MDT 2019

As I gird my loins for a renewed ideological struggle against Bernie
Sanders’s bid to become the Democratic Party’s nominee to run against
Donald Trump, I thought it advisable to get up to speed by reading
Jeffrey St. Clair’s “Bernie & The Sandernistas: Field Notes From a
Failed Revolution” that was published in 2016. Since Sanders will be
running the same kind of campaign he ran in 2016, I hoped to find
material that might change the minds of millennials about Democratic
Party politics. Back in 1968, when I was a zealous young Trotskyite, I
used to love selling the party’s “Truth Kits” about Eugene McCarthy and
Robert Kennedy. I may have changed my mind about the usefulness of
Trotskyism but there will always be a need for holding Democratic Party
politicians up for scrutiny even when it is someone like Bernie Sanders,
who helped the SWP get on the ballot in Vermont in 1980 when he was
about to become a third-party Mayor of Burlington. God knows that I
would be a strong supporter if he ran as an independent next year. I
even wrote a speech that he could have used if he had done so in 2016.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2019/05/10/bernie-and-the-sandernistas/