[Marxism] A Green New Deal Must Prioritize Regenerative Agriculture

John Edmundson johnedmundson4 at gmail.com
Sun May 12 15:09:36 MDT 2019

I absolutely agree about the recent intensification in NZ dairy herds and
the impact in terms of fertilisers, irrigation etc. One of the horrendous
changes has been the conversion of dry land farms over to dairy. Where I am
in Canterbury, it is very dry, our prevailing summer weather is a hot dry
Föhn wind and our winter is characteristically frosty, dry and sunny.
Canterbury farms were growing wheat and running sheep when I was growing
up. The wheat went years ago and the sheep are now few and far between.
Massive irrigation schemes have been sucking water out of the rivers,
affecting the aquifers from which town and city water is drawn. Some rivers
don't consistently make it to the sea and popular swimming holes of my
childhood are now foetid pools with safety warnings around water quality. A
few years back, our Canterbury Regional Council challenged a big new
irrigation scheme. The government stepped in, sacked the CRC and appointed
a commissioner to get the proposal through.

I also agree that the new proposed legislation, celebrated by António
Guterres yesterday on his visit here, is a joke. Farmers have had a huge
"get out of jail free" card around GHG emissions and they still do. I just
couldn't see how the farming model in the article, where farmers were still
talking about fertiliser regimes and the like, would be that different from
what happens now in New Zealand. I'm sure it's better than the current
industrial model in the States, but if, as in NZ, we don't see it as
sustainable, how can it be a sustainable model globally?

I may not have been clear enough in my previous post.

Cheers,
John

--
The law locks up the man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the common