[Marxism] Ecocidal Populism

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue May 14 06:28:29 MDT 2019

It is capitalism’s global effort to take our attention away from the
impending environmental annihilation caused by capitalism. That we see
the global rise of nationalistic populism right now is a sure sign of
the seriousness of what capital has understood is coming. The inevitable
conclusion is nationalistic populism will continue to grow. And it will
increase in ferocity. It may even end in a similar way to the first
wave, outright Fascism. Given the recent history of capitalism, one
should never totally discount such a possibility. This is not to argue
that 2019 is 1933. It is not. What is coming will be worse. The looming
fight will be worse and even if we win, the outcome will be horrendous.

full: https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/05/14/ecocidal-populism/