[Marxism] How Carbon Farming Can Help Stop Climate Change in Its Tracks | The Nation

DW dwaltersmia at gmail.com
Thu May 16 09:13:56 MDT 2019

Thanks for posting this. It's exactly what I've been writing about for the
last 2 years. It is truly an *excellent* survey of the problems and goes
back to something I agree with: it's all about the soil. And, the author
doesn't make the enemy out to be the cow, but rather how cows are raised. I
urge people to take this to heart. What IS interesting is that thousands
and even 10s of thousands of farmers and ranchers are investing in these
holistic methods which includes, above all else, the *intensive* use of
animal husbandry.

One of the less known but very important aspects of this also is addressed
by pointing out the problem of "plowing" or tilling, which leaves the soil
bare and exposed to the elements, most notably sunlight which kills the
soil. This is why more and more farmers are adopting the holistic approach
of cover cropping and no-till planting. Prevents run-offs and preserves the
soil. Nature has already done the R&D on this: it likes to "armor" its soil
and always attempts to cover it up. We need to expand mimicking nature in
this way.

The story doesn't, unfortunately, include a lot of details of the methods
of regenerative agriculture though they begin to touch on. Laying out the
opponents of this toward the end of the article was clearly stated: the
fossil fuel industry and agricultural-industrial complex or "Big Ag".

'nuff said. Read the article.

David Walters