[Marxism] Academics should write for the public for political, personal and practical reasons (opinion)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri May 17 14:52:36 MDT 2019

I also write for the public because I see my work as part of a long
tradition of black activist scholarship that was never fooled by the
idea that intellectual, practical and political work should be kept
separate. As an educator with expertise on racial inequality, I see my
responsibility extending beyond the classroom, even if I don’t yet have
tenure. W. E. B. Du Bois, perhaps the prototypical public sociologist,
neatly encapsulated this view of the necessity of public engagement when
he said, “One could not be a calm, cool and detached scientist while
Negroes were lynched, murdered and starved.” The racial problems Du Bois
identified are still with us, and we can help eradicate them by engaging
in the type of committed public writing that Du Bois modeled.

https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2019/05/17/academics-should-write-public-political-personal-and-practical-reasons-opinion