[Marxism] Haaretz: Facebook Busts Israeli Campaign to Disrupt Elections in African, Asian and Latin American Nations

MM marxmail00 at gmail.com
Sun May 19 18:00:14 MDT 2019

> On May 19, 2019, at 7:04 PM, Alan Ginsberg via Marxism <marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> Facebook said Thursday it banned an Israeli company that ran an influence
> campaign aimed at disrupting elections in various countries and has
> canceled dozens of accounts engaged in spreading disinformation.

Given the combination of: (1) what we know about Facebook’s past practices; (2) what we can reasonably infer about its priorities from the fact that it enjoys something approaching absolute dominance in the sphere of primary news and information source for many hundreds of millions of people; (3) the fact that Zuckerberg is a gazillionaire; and, (4) the fact that there has hardly been any serious pressure on the company from employers or the public to address this (unless I missed the announcement of a march — oh yeah, it would have been announced on Facebook, so maybe I did), then you really have to wonder just how spectacularly egregious the behaviour that led to this suspension must have been.

A bizarre story somehow. It’s hard to believe there isn’t some very important aspect that isn’t being reported.