[Marxism] Mozart: Rational revolutionary

Ralph Johansen mdriscollrj at charter.net
Wed May 22 11:43:38 MDT 2019

  Louis Proyect wrote

Their audience, then, knew what Da Ponte and Mozart were getting into.
Joseph II was never going to tolerate explicit revolutionary language,
and Da Ponte softened it considerably in devising his libretto. But
Mozart deepened it again with his music, giving three dimensions to
two-dimensional characters by granting them real-life emotional
complexity. Instead of political force, they get emotional depth, and as
real people, their fates once again acquire political force.

full: https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/public/mozart-grace-notes/

  That was part of the genius and beauty of Mozart, who wrote his first
  symphony at age eight. Reminds me of the narrative, as I recall it
  from reading the book long ago, of coming back across France toward
  central Europe after the first World War on a train loaded with
  refugees, peasants who after fleeing the ravaging of their homelands
  were being forced back to their villages and countryside to a hopeless
  future, with their lands having been taken by the banks and rich
  landlords who profited from war. The narrator looks at the children of
  the refugees. Their eyes are bright and still full of hope and
  expectation, their demeanor full of activity and mischief. Then he
  looks at the returning peasants. Their eyes are dull and listless,
  their shoulders slumped and motionless, their cheeks hollowed and
  ashen. He writes: “What torments me is not the humps nor hollows nor
  the ugliness. It is the sight, a little bit in all these men, of
  Mozart murdered.”

And no change: they are murdering the Mozarts.

― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Wind, Sand and Stars
<https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/1198592>