[Marxism] The Green New Deal Can’t Be Anything Like the New Deal | The New Republic

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri May 31 06:00:32 MDT 2019

The resources necessary to maintain our current rate of production
simply don’t exist on the planet. There isn’t enough topsoil to sustain
agricultural production; at its current rate, topsoil will be depleted
in a few decades and lead to mass starvation. There’s not enough cobalt,
lithium, and other resources necessary to electrify transportation at
its current scope; demand is already outstripping supply of such
minerals and electric vehicles currently account for less than 2 percent
of the market. There aren’t enough fish to keep trawling the oceans at
our current intensity, with virtually every single commercial fishery in
the world headed toward collapse. There’s not enough wild habitat to
keep deforesting at the current rate, with sixty football fields of
forest being destroyed every minute and dozens of species going extinct
everyday.

https://newrepublic.com/article/153996/green-new-deal-cant-anything-like-new-deal