[Marxism] A History of the World in Seven Cheap Things | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri May 31 18:20:28 MDT 2019

Your first reaction to a book titled A History of the World in Seven
Cheap Things that consists of 312 pages is to wonder if it is the first
in a series of volumes since a single volume hardly seems capable of
packing in everything from Ancient Egypt to the 2007 financial crisis.
Yet, oddly enough, it does an excellent job by using a singular
perspective, namely how “cheapness” has become the sine qua non for
class society’s dubious advances over millennia.

Co-authors Raj Patel and Jason W. Moore are exponents of what they call
world-ecology. While I am not familiar with Patel’s work, I have been
reading Moore ever since he was a graduate student and posting to the
World Systems Network, a defunct mailing list that was home to scholars
like Immanuel Wallerstein and Andre Gunder Frank. World systems theory
always made a lot of sense to me since it was premised on the idea that
Europe was responsible for what Frank called the development of
underdevelopment in Asia, Africa and Latin America. What Moore
contributed to this theory was the ecological dimension. Colonialism
involved massive changes to nature that were universally destructive
even though they helped to make cheap commodities available to the
colonizers.

full:
https://louisproyect.org/2019/05/31/a-history-of-the-world-in-seven-cheap-things-2/