[Marxism] Are belching cows really driving climate change?

John Edmundson johnedmundson4 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 17:02:55 MDT 2019

Thanks David,
I've just checked and both those Montgomery books are in libraries near me.

I was pretty sure that in a practical sense, it isn't an "either/or"
situation, that both are good things. I just found the rival claims a bit
contradictory. Thanks for replying promptly. I'll look at these books and
see if my brain can cope with the science!

In New Zealand we have some of the most intensive dairy farming in the
world. Agriculture (NZ agriculture is highly capital intensive and
industrial, but largely free of feedlot style farming, although with
massive supplementary feeding due to the intensity of the stock numbers) is
accounted to be New Zealand's single biggest greenhouse gas emitter as well
as, due to methane emissions. In Canterbury, dry land farming has been
converted to dairy to the massive detriment of river quality through
irrigation. The government has just given the agricultural sector another 5
years to come up with its own plan before it is brought into the emissions
trading scheme, which is, if course a virtually worthless attempt to let
the market solve the climate change issue. So this is really topical and
there are some interesting experiments with more sustainable and
regenerative models being undertaken in New Zealand

--
The law locks up the man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the common